Week 3 : Parameterized FPU

Now that the FPU worked with 32 bit numbers, it needed to be modified to allow for IEEE-754 double precision (64 bits) and IEEE-754 half precision (16 bits). The solution I used was to try and parameterize every line of code that contained hard coded bit lengths. Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 3.04.27 PM

Before Parmeterization

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 3.04.46 PMAfter Parameterization

By changing hard coded values throughout the source to parameters, I should be able to affect the input and output precision of the FPU. I spent the rest of the week going through every line of code, testing different values, and modifying the parameters accordingly. Since verilog starts indexing bit arrays at zero, I subtracted one from each of the actual values needed in my parameterization, which made the resulting code a little bit easier to read.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s